MGT503 Assignment 1 solution/discussion Fall 2012 (15-11-201

Assignments ,Quiz, Solved GDB

Moderator: abdulsaboor

MGT503 Assignment 1 solution/discussion Fall 2012 (15-11-201

Postby abdulsaboor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am

MGT503 Assignment 1 solution/discussion Fall 2012 (15-11-2012)

Case:
“The trouble with management as a field of study and practice is that it has no scientific base.” Mr. Najmi, a space scientist, said to his laboratory head, Mr. Khan. “I feel I know what I am doing when I design a guidance system for a rocket because I have the space, propulsion, and other sciences available to tell me what to do. But when you ask me if I am doing a good job as a supervisor of my engineering and technical team, there is nothing, no science of management, to guide me. In my readings of the books on management, I get the idea that management must operate on a closed-system basis, that the best things managers can do are to be friendly, consult with their subordinates on every little thing, and develop strict rules and procedures so that no subordinate can make a mistake”, he added.
“As I think about it, I cannot see much science in management. And I wonder what good management books, articles and management development courses are ever going to do any of us. So we have to wait for centuries when a science of management, as an exact science like physics, is developed?” he exclaimed.
Mr. Khan, having been exposed to a number of management development seminars that had emphasized the usefulness and importance of the management knowledge, was taken aback by Najmi’s outburst. But he was impressed that what his subordinate had said did make a lot of sense. He was, however, at a loss as how to respond to Najmi.
Questions:
1. If you were Mr. Khan, how would you respond to Mr. Najmi’s statement? (10 Marks)
2. What would you suggest be done to make management more scientific? (10 Marks)
Important:
24 hours extra / grace period after the due date is usually available to overcome uploading difficulties. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies and above mentioned due dates should always be treated as final to avoid any inconvenience.
Attachments
(55.5 KiB) Downloaded 703 times
DR ABDUL SABOOR
PHD Scholar at Superior University Lahore- Pakistan
MS Business Administration (HRM)
BS Business Administration (Marketing)
Member Editorial Board Science Publishing Group USA
Member Editorial Board International Journal of Marketing Studies
Cell=0308-6837987

Pakistan
abdulsaboor
ADMIN